Recently this problem has given me a headache. I knew something was wrong, but I wasn’t sure how I could sort it.
‘Bramblejuice’ started off with a dead body, but too many characters became involved – the family members. But as with many stories, plots have to be shaped to keep the story from sinking in the mud and losing readers.
I’ve whittled down the number of viewpoints and I feel more comfortable. I noticed when I again introduced a character further on in the story and declared for the second time, their relationship to the murdered person, was showing that I’d expected the reader to have forgotten who they were. This was a telling point.
I’ve decided to let the others subside to lesser mortals. They will still be part of the story, but not on stage, as it were.
I believe I have seen the error of my ways and now am concentrating on only three viewpoints.